Tuesday, January 02, 2007

OH THE LOVE, THE LOVE

We braced ourselves. We watched other people with their children. We took note of the things to watch out for. But nothing has quite prepared us for the story which unfolds whenever Max is around Pia.

I picked Max up from daycare this afternoon, and had a wonderful chat with one of his carers. She mentioned how maternal Max is, how sweet he is with all the babies when he goes into the babies room. He strokes their cheeks. My heart melts.

Now multiply all that tenfold when Max is at home with Pia. He loves that baby in the most pure, astonishing way. He can’t get enough of her – he covers her hands and feet with little kisses. He watches everything I do with her and copies me in my words, tone and actions. He gives her toys to play with. He draws a chair up to her bassinet and settles her if she starts crying. He pats her stomach, and then makes her smile big broad smiles. He loves to lie next to her playing with her.

I’ve seen other children turn their back on their siblings. I’ve watched as they fight and assert their dominance as the elder child. But Max, well, he just includes Pia in everything we do and say. This baby has become such an integral part of his being and life. He defends her and me in public, and there have been times when I’ve been moved to maternal tears at the things he has said to other people. The compassion one small child has for the family unit he belongs to is just beautiful. It is everything we hoped we had instilled in him, and everything we hoped he would become with a sister in his life.

Does it sound idyllic? Yes. But if I ask him to Get. Off. Her. Now. one more time…This baby will surely be squashed with an overbearing over excited 3 year old brother at some point. Then again, if he treats the women in his life half as well as he treats Pia, he’ll break hearts the world over.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Cherish it. My girls have a love/hate relationship, but I've got to say it is mainly love. They cuddle each other, tell each other they love the other, call each other "B" and "A" which is just heart warming. They are prone to the odd Bratz doll over the noggin, but they do kiss and make-up afterwards. The world of siblings is full of extremes.

10:57 pm  
Blogger shizzknits said...

Yes, cherish it while you can. My boys are 2.5 yrs apart and the older one LOVED his baby brother...when he was a baby. Now that little brother is 2yrs and can get into everything, not so much. Lots more arguing happens when the younger one gets mobile and into the "me"/"mine" stage.

But my two are starting to play together now, too. It's sweet to hear the older one showing the younger how to do stuff or creating a narrative for his younger brother.

3:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, your son sounds like such a loving, sensitive soul. It melts my heart. I hope my boys never lose that side of themselves.

4:50 am  
Blogger Little Snoring said...

What a lucky Mum you are to have two beautiful little souls. He sounds adorable and so caring what a sweet big brother.

5:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

posted a late comment on sooz Have yourself a merry-Suz

11:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it doesn't change as she grows older. Mine are 18mnths apart now 2.5 and 4 and most of their day is spent together in good play. We threatened to take our oldest outside to the naughty tree the other day. Our daughter became very upset at this threat and cried, "no, no I love him. don't do it"

10:49 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

I am under no illusions that this will last forever, but for now I am lapping it up. Max's version of 'love' is endearing, but slightly too close to medical suffocation at times so it's hard to be completely easy with it. We have our days when all we say is get off your sister, leave her alone, she's not enjoying that. But more often than not you'll look down and she's smiling encouragingly at him........

Jo - train pieces hurt more.
Tiel s-k - That's so sweet!!

4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home